Wednesday 12 June 2013

Pollyanna moments

You must remember the little girl in the story who always found something to be 'glad' about, even when her legs fell off.

(I recommend a book: Smile or Die - How Positive Thinking Fooled America and the World.  Barbara Ehrenreich. 2009.)

Positive Thinking is highly overrated and can be a substitute for serious reflection and analysis.  However, I think I'll indulge in some positive thinking today.  I've been ill for 5 days and need it....

Things to make me glad about having a stomach bug

1. Getting up close and personal with my toilets enabled me to inspect under the rim.  I'm so glad to find that my toilets are really clean!  A pat on the back for the cleaner - me!
2. Child one also had the bug and was forced to spend time at home with her mum.  Although she was weeping with boredom I'm glad that we had the opportunity to share this wonderful experience. 
3. General lack of brain cells during the worst days meant I had to resort to reading women's magazines. 
-Reading Cosmo I found that the sex moves they call 'new' just aren't.  I'm glad I can remember!
-From Woman and Home I learned that I can improve my cleavage with injections of hyaluronic acid at £370 per treatment.  I'm glad my cleavage isn't that needy.  I just rub it with lard every now and then.
- Also from Woman and Home I discovered that the 'free range' egg label covers chickens living 10 to a square metre, and that their 'daylight' can mean artificial lighting indoors.  I'm glad that my girls don't have to live like that.
4. I'm glad that I have precious friends and family to do emergency shopping for crisps, dioralyte, and lucozade.
5. I'm glad that my boiler chose now to break down because.....OK I'm struggling here.  Any ideas?
Proper free range hens! Daisy, Polly, Delia and Tracy (hiding) 


1 comment:

  1. You make me laugh! Pollyanna was a right pain though...

    ReplyDelete